Compass Energies is a community scale renewable energy developer focused on creating new sources of clean renewable energy at the local level. We partner with landowners, electric cooperatives, regional and investor owned utilities, and the community at large to build economic and environmentally responsible projects. Our team’s first constructed facility, the 40 MW Spion Kop Project located in Judith Basin County, Montana, achieved on-budget and on-time commercial operation in the 4th quarter of 2012 and was sold to NorthWestern Energy on November 15, 2012.
Our development team is comprised of seasoned professionals with expertise in complementary areas:
- Energy finance – with our background in project finance, we know the necessary prerequisites to develop and finance multi-million dollar projects. Our creative approach has been rewarded with mandates to lead multiple energy deals including wind project financings that won “Renewables Deal of the Year” in 2002 and 2004.
- Rural distribution systems – our team focuses on sites with existing transmission capacity and close proximity to available interconnection points. We work with the local utility from the earliest stages of development to ensure a positive ongoing working relationship.
- Site analysis – our meteorologists have advanced expertise in complex terrain and integrated GIS mapping. We identify and develop sites that are often overlooked.
- Land affairs – our developers on the ground focus on landowners and the surrounding community and on localized site development, permitting and environmental issues.
Rigorous and Efficient Site Selection and Development
Compass is run by a small team of seasoned professionals that have considerable collective experience in the energy sector with more than one gigawatt of operating wind projects developed and/or financed, including two internationally recognized project finance “deal of the year” awards.
- The Compass team has hard skills in meteorology, GIS mapping, legal, finance, analytics, land acquisition, environmental, and permitting. We have considerable experience in the wind sector and a track record of successful projects.
- Our collective experience in power finance and development includes multiple gigawatts of conventional generation, along with numerous transmission and distribution network projects.
- Our development process is driven by pragmatic understanding of the project attributes necessary to reach a successful financial close. Our skill sets are focused on rigorous selection of project sites that can be developed and built in a compressed time frame while preserving expansion options over the long term.
- Our lean, focused development approach excludes large, unproductive land holdings, streamlining ongoing development costs.
- Our consistent, focused approach allows us to duplicate our development methodology across our portfolio.